The Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (NPH) is a proud advocate for affordable housing, activating our members to make the Bay Area a place where everyone has an affordable and stable home.
We do work to pass smart policies, secure investments, educate the public, and support affordable homes as the foundation for thriving individuals, families, and neighborhoods. We don’t build or manage affordable housing, nor are we a service provider. But that doesn’t mean that we don’t want to help!
While NPH is an advocacy organization, we do maintain a list of resources that may be able to help you if you are looking for affordable housing. Please note that the materials listed below are grouped by Bay Area (all), followed by Counties (listed alphabetically), and conclude with information for legal assistance.
Bay Area – All
- One Home is a Bay Area specific online resource for affordable housing. This free, nonprofit website that makes it easy to find affordable housing that you could be eligible for. Visit www.onehomebayarea.org.
- HUD’s online search page provides a search function to look for federally funded affordable housing in your area. You must contact the individual housing developers and developments on the list generated by your search for information about available units or to get on their waiting lists.
- Episcopal Community Services maintains housing opportunities list which are updated monthly. Visit their Housing page and scroll to the bottom of the page to select your Bay Area County.
- Go Section 8 lists available rental opportunities at www.gosection8.com.
- Call 2-1-1 or 1-800-273-6222 to speak with a live person and to get information about or referrals to human services for every day needs and in times of crisis.
- NPH offers a downloadable guide for searching for affordable housing and a list of state funded affordable housing by California counties. You must contact the individual housing developments on the list about available units or to get on their waiting lists.
Alameda County & Contra Costa County
- Dial 2-1-1 for help.
- You can also visit our partner East Bay Housing Organizations for a list of community-based organizations providing transitional housing, mental and physical health services, and other housing services.
San Mateo County
San Francisco County
- The San Francisco Mayor’s Office on Housing and Community Development offers a list of affordable homes, based on your eligibility, at: http://sfmohcd.org/san-francisco-housing-resource-guide.
- DAHLIA San Francisco Portal provides a convenient way to search for City-sponsored rental housing in San Francisco. The site helps guide you through your eligibility and offers email alerts as new listings appear. Visit: https://housing.sfgov.org/.
- You can also read through the April 2015 San Francisco Housing Resource Guide – an excellent resource including housing rights and legal resources, resources for individuals experiencing homelessness, resources for veterans, the elderly, families, youth, individuals with disabilities and additional insight.
Santa Clara County
- Visit www.scchousingsearch.org for a list of affordable housing rental properties in the County, searching by your specific city.
- For San Jose specifically:
- Look up a listing of affordable housing communities here: List of Affordable Apartments.
- Find a list of homeless services provided in the City here: http://ca-sanjose.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/11171
Seeking help with a housing issue?
Bay Area Legal Aid’s housing division provides legal assistance in the following areas, subject to the available legal resources in each county or office:
- Public, Subsidized and Private Housing
- Residential Hotels
- Housing Conditions
- Rent Control
- Eviction Defense
- Lock-outs and Utility Shut-offs
- Fair Housing
- Housing Discrimination
- Training Advocates and Community Organizations
Click here to get a contact list by county for Bay Area Legal Aid’s Advice Hotline.