The Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California (NPH) is a proud advocate for affordable housing, activating our members to make the Bay Area a place where everyone has an affordable and stable home. We work to pass smart policies, secure investments, educate the public, and support affordable homes as the foundation for thriving individuals, families, and neighborhoods. We don’t build or manage affordable housing, nor are we a service provider. But that doesn’t mean that we don’t want to help! While NPH is an advocacy organization, we have committed to also maintain a list of resources that may be able to help you if you are looking for affordable housing.
Seeking help with a housing issue?
Bay Area Legal Aid’s housing division provides legal assistance in the following areas, subject to the available legal resources in each county or office:
- Public, Subsidized and Private Housing
- Residential Hotels
- Housing Conditions
- Rent Control
- Eviction Defense
- Lock-outs and Utility Shut-offs
- Fair Housing
- Housing Discrimination
- Training Advocates and Community Organizations
Click here to get a contact list by county for Bay Area Legal Aid’s Advice Hotline.
- HUD’s online search page provides a search function to look for federally funded affordable housing in your area. You must contact the individual housing developers and developments on the list generated by your search for information about available units or to get on their waiting lists.
- Call 2-1-1 or 1-800-273-6222 to speak with a live person and to get information about or referrals to human services for every day needs and in times of crisis.
- Call 311 to make a reservation for a 90-day shelter, get additional information about services and/or request assistance from the Episcopal Community Services Homeless Outreach Team.
- AffordableHousing.com lists Affordable Housing properties and programs throughout the US: https://www.affordablehousing.com/
- The San Francisco Mayor’s Office on Housing and Community Development offers a list of affordable homes, based on your eligibility, at: http://sfmohcd.org/san-francisco-housing-resource-guide.
- DAHLIA San Francisco Portal provides a convenient way to search for City-sponsored rental housing in San Francisco. The site helps guide you through your eligibility and offers email alerts as new listings appear. Visit: https://housing.sfgov.org/.
- You can also read through the April 2015 San Francisco Housing Resource Guide– an excellent resource including housing rights and legal resources, resources for individuals experiencing homelessness, resources for veterans, the elderly, families, youth, individuals with disabilities and additional insight.
- Visit the SCC Housing Authority for a list of affordable housing rental properties in the County, searching by your specific city.
- For San Jose specifically: