NPH Priority Bill 2019: Public Lands for Public Good Act (AB 1486: Ting)
Strengthen our Surplus Land Act to transform unused public land into a public good. AB 1486 will make more public land available for affordable homes and open spaces that benefit our communities across racial and economic lines.
PUBLIC LANDS FOR PUBLIC GOOD ACT
California’s housing affordability crisis is growing, and an unknown number of public lands sit unused when they could be providing needed affordable homes, parks, and open spaces for our communities. AB 1486 will strengthen our current Surplus Land Act so California can more efficiently transform unused public lands into a public good.
Redeveloping unused public land can create more affordable homes throughout the state and advance our state’s environmental and economic goals by increasing affordable infill development near transit and jobs. Through AB 1486, low-income families will more easily be able to find safe, stable, affordable homes and local communities will thrive.
HOW AB 1486 WORKS
Our unused public lands are waiting to be turned into a public good and safe, stable, affordable homes for our neighbors. AB 1486 builds on and strengthens our existing Surplus Land Act to increase transparency and accountability. AB 1486 will:
- Create a statewide public lands database that will shine a light on the number of statewide public lands potentially available for the public good;
- Set a minimum amount of state public lands to be made available on an annual basis for affordable housing;
- Incentivize affordable housing development by allowing both the affordable housing projects and the public agencies that release the land to receive more generous state funding for affordable homes;
- And provide enforcement through the Department of Housing and Community Development.
WHY AB 1486 IS THE RIGHT SOLUTION
AB 1486 will free up tens of thousands of acres statewide to build more homes for California families. AB 1486 is critical to ensure that the state’s existing Surplus Land Act can fulfill its intended goal to turn unused public land back into a public good and create more affordable homes for individuals and families in the Bay Area and across our state. AB 1486 provides a reasonable and sustainable pathway to help alleviate California’s growing crisis.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Contact Your Lawmaker. Share your support for AB 1486 with lawmakers and the bill sponsor.
- Join NPH’s Legislative Issues Working Group to discuss affordable housing policy and the Legislature: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Endorse our efforts and join our coalition: email@example.com